Saturday, September 12, 2009

My latest adventure was the Friday before Labor Day. Roger and I did a 2 mile swim around Governors Island. For those of you that aren't geography majors, the island sits in NY harbor between Manhattan and Brooklyn.









We jumped off the back of the Water Taxi at the start. Manhattan is in the background.









Below is a shot of the island. The white, round building on the left is an air vent for the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. The tunnel was somewhere below where we were swimming.





The low round building is Castle Williams. It was built in the early 1800's to protect the harbor. The thing just to the right, is the Statue of Liberty. (In case you went to school in Idaho)
















We could also see the Brooklyn Bridge. The water was 75, but, it was the choppiest water I ever swam in, probably because of all the boats and wind.








After very carefully watching the women, I practiced getting changed under my towel. I think the girls are better at it. They don't fall down.

Missing from the picture, above the Staten Island Ferry is the site of the World Trade Center.



4 comments:

Romios Family said...

Oh man, I laughed so hard right now I almost pee'd my pants. I hope Mel checks this from work. Nothing wrong with going to school in Idaho! Well, except for the fact that they teach you that the capitol of PA is Pittsburgh. Glad you figured out the backwards blog thing, not sure why that was happening to you. I see from the deck change picture that they made you write your age on your shoulder...

Bill and Cindy said...

Great post, Ray! I give you credit for swimming that distance in those conditions. Love all the pics, including KOPJ!

The Roberts Family said...

OMG, I'm dying right now. So good to see another post. Love KOPJ makin' an appearance. And love H's comment about your racing #. Wish I lived closer, I would've done the swim with you! That is cool! How come neither of your swimmer kids did it with you??

Hap and Sue said...

Great job on the post and the swim!! Was it harder to swim in than the ocean? Was the water clean?